Sunday, February 7, 2010

seamless like my skin

night driving with a good soundtrack may very well be one of my favorite things to do. it's right up there with washing my hands and watching old disney movies on you-tube [did you know you could do that?].
the other night, it was me and barclay and the beatles, and barclay's dad was driving [barclay's dad loves the beatles, cribbage, and Christmas music]. the guys were in the front, talking in late pm voices. i was sprawled out in the back seat, playing the window like a piano with my right hand.
that sort of thing drives me nuts when other people do it.
but i do it.
"we're sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band, we hope you will enjoy the show..."
i closed my eyes. the car sped smoothly along on the highway. i felt us hit a bump and jerk sideways.
we were suddenly straddling the road and the grassy ditch. i kept my eyes closed. i was indifferent. we could drive in the ditch if we felt like it, i thought.
i felt the tickle in the pit of my stomach as we plunged over the edge.
i smiled.
we crashed through somebody's fence. through a child's carefully constructed snowman. through a doghouse.
to be honest, i don't know what became of the dog.
a few more yards. a flower bed here, a lawn chair there, possibly even a person or two. but we didn't slow.
we gained so much speed that we left the ground and just doodled around the sky for a few minutes in the krause's little blue matrix.
then we returned to the road, because that is where good people drive.
i opened my eyes and studied the cityscape.
and thought about how seamless the transition is sometimes--that is, the one between when you're awake and when you're not.

5 comments:

Jen Glen said...

See?!? It's these kind of posts where I'm like..."What? Did that really happen?" You always say you tell the truth. Were you sleeping? Dreaming? I'm confused and I feel dumb that I'm confused!!!

elena (a.k.a. suzy) said...

oh jen.
read the last line again. and again. "the transition between when i'm awake, and when i'm not."

elena (a.k.a. suzy) said...

and i am telling the truth. i'm not trying to deceive anyone into thinking marty owns a flying car. :)

JTay said...

Except for the fact that Marty DOES own a flying car. Oops. Perhaps I've said too much.

elena (a.k.a. suzy) said...

haha justine... :)